Another exhausting day of building. Today was not about quantity but instead about quality, as in details. The focus today was the farm area that I worked on yesterday. First thing was to finish the small corner section of bocage I left unfinished last night. Next it was onto the crops themselves (pictured below). These are comprised of a variety of Silphor products. In the far left I used two colouration of soy beans. In the upper right I used a third colour (Spring). Under that (middle right) I used some fall coloured weeds. Finally in the bottom section I used Alfalfa (Summer).
Although subtle I did add some light track marks through the garden. I did this with Vallejo paste. As you can see in the pictures (Above and Below) there is debris floating around on the ground. This is intentional. It gives the illusion that wind blows and pushes around the loose leaves. You will see I use that technique in a few other locations.
Seams seams go away do not show up today. Seams are everywhere - such is the nature when you build with tiles. As you add things to each tile it becomes near impossible to keep them tight and snug. Do not fret, this is not a huge concern as the eye will tend to go towards other more eye catching features. As you will notice I tend to have the terrain elements running at angles other then 90 degrees. I leaned long ago that wood acts imperfect ways so its best to mask the seams then to tole over having them align perfectly.
The overhead shot really illustrates the gamers perspective. You can see at gaming level the seams blend and disappear. This shot really gives you the idea I was trying to go for with this area of the board. Not all the areas will be busy, but I like to have "features" as I call them to catch the eye.
I looked at this pathway and thought it screamed to have a fence running down part of it, so I did. Then I took it a little further and ran it the lenght of the property. I figured this guy (Ole'MacDonald) want to secure the entire farm. I don't think the fence looks out of place - perhaps not the correct style, but nonetheless it looks the part.
Wanting to break up the ground, here I added some summer weed tuffs and scattered the leaves around for a little character.
Trees are magnetised in place and the fence sections round the bend (Above)
The orchard developed a character all on its own. I took a few loose apples and attempted to secure them to the grass. Its very difficult to keep all the flocks, static grass, and bits I use in the depth that I do secure to the board. Luckily gravity helps to keep things down. I expect a little grass to fall off, this is why I do multiple layers and I always send a repair pack with tiles.
I did some flowering bushes around the front of the house. For this is used the Silphor flowering tuffs. I find they lack a little bulk, so I backed them with a piece of clump foliage to add to the look (Below)
Pictured (Above and Below) is tomorrows project. Obviously I have bocage left to do. You might be asking why I don't do that first as I often have in the past. I find that by doing it after I flock the clump foliage picks up less static grass. Eventually the foliage gets covered in a little static grass - its just nature - I think its call STATIC for a reason. You might also notice the ground cover is different. For now I will let you have a look at it. Tomorrow I will focus on what makes up this ground cover, why its different, and how I went about applying it. Until then just enjoy.