Thursday, 4 April 2013

Flames of War - Project Foy - Planning Stages

Today, April 04, 2013 marks the beginning of yet another Flames of War project.  This project has been in the planning stages for some time and the customer has been more then patient with me as I was finishing up another project (yet to be revealed).  However, enough is enough and its time to get down to the brass tacs.  I will state up front that I have not done a snow table to speak of so this will have a steep learning curve, mistakes will be made and lessons will be learned.  You all might as well follow along as I fumble through the project.  That being said I am quite excited by this project and have had the better part of 5 months to think about it and gather materials.  A lot of people have asked me how I plan and where I get ideas for the tables.  I usually look no further then mother nature, she is a pretty good source of inspiration and because I live in the North I have a good sense of what snow looks like.  In the north we have only two seasons, winter and still winter.  In addition to nature I like to use the maps available on the close combat series website.  They have a ton of pics and the images are converted into graphical portrayals of the geographic locations and from those I convert them more easily into table layouts.  Keep following and please comment - love to read your posts.

Cheers,

 

This is the Close Combat Series map of Foy - I have estimated the sizes of the tiles and laid over my approximation for the gaming tiles.  The board itself will be a standard 6x4 layout, built with 12"x12" tiles (24 in total). 


Work first began with the assembly of the Back2Base-ix tiles.  These tiles are my main source for all table foundations.  The construction is easy and with the ability to magnetize the tiles the build is seamless (or just about). 


The first stack of completed tiles - note the use of painters tape to secure the seams.  I recommend you leave these at least 6-12 hours to dry before moving ahead with the next stages.


First of many tiles to come - this stage takes a while but laying it all out ahead of time allows you to plan more effectively - and on the plus side mistakes are merely an eraser away from being fixed.  This drawing helps me to visualize the layout and make changes as I go - the image is a guideline but subtle changes are made.


Likewise, the drawing is also not the be all end all - when the physical build occurs there will be other changes that will occur as things "look better here then there" and thus further changes can be made quite easily.  These drawings are merely a guide.  The drawings also help customer(s) (current, and future) to see what the project might look like.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting start, I'm going to follow this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, I look forward to watching this progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm....

    Good to hear from you my friend!! Historicon this year??

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a good photograph of Foy on the net, a little different than yours. Can post the link if you want.

    Is this 28mm? I did Foy for 15mmthe Bulge event in January.

    Cliff

    ReplyDelete